general finishing question

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Mon, 21 Feb 2005 16:28:25 -0800 (PST)

You DON'T sand the dried grain filler! If you seal the
stain coat with thined finish,  there will be enough
porosity left for the filler to "take",  but the
surface  between the pores will be glossy enough to be
wiped clean of filler residue when it
( the filler ) is about 3/4 dry. At least that's how
the oil-based stuff works.
    Then examine the panel for streaking, and wipe
with a rag or paper towell lightly dampened in mineral
spirits to get the last traces of residue. Result:
Filler in pores, clean, contrasting wood of desired
stain clor between pores. Seal with another light coat
( to prevent re-dissolving and bleeding of filler )
and start building topcoats.
     Thump