Website critique was New website setup

Hechler Family dahechler@charter.net
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:47:54 -0600

Phil Ryan wrote:

> Hi Duaine,
>
> Your website is a good start, but I have a few questions.
>
> Why is your name at the top cut off?  If it's because of the 800/600
> ratio, can you fix it for the average joe piano researcher surfer?

As most of you see websites with only one webpage that contains
everything - titling, some sort of table of contents, copyright notice,
return link back to the main page,etc. The webmaster/designer must
remember to put each of these in each webpage. This was and is a major
pain in the rump to remember, so several years ago the use of windows
or  "frames" was developed. I make use of those "frames" which each
frame is actually a separately coded webpage. In other words, I have a
title webpage, a toc webpage and a copyright webpage which stay
relatively constant. The middle frame I call a "TV" frame which is where
I display the "changing" pages or, in the case of the rare piano page, I
start a new browser session. Now that said and hopefully a little
clearer, the problem comes developing the frames for multiple screen sizes..

Now to address the 800/600 screen size. Since I came from an IT
Background, I know that the industry standard is now 800 x 600. I bet if
you go to most any website at 640 x 480 screen size, the right hand side
will be cutoff and you will have to scroll back and forth. That is why I
built it the way I did. I think I can turn on the option were you can
move the borders to resize the frames. Otherwise, I will have to learn
enough Javascript to dynamically rebuild the frames parameters based on
screen size.

> Tell us something about yourself, background, training, experience
> and your music business.  Is this a business site or a piano history
> reference site?
>
> What area of the country/city do you work in?  Do you service pianos
> in South Beach?

That information is forth coming

Thank you for the critique,
Duaine