Great old pianos with fat ribs

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 21:30:29 -0800

Terry said: "You still don't know for sure because you don't know how =
the rib was =3D
originally shaped. I assume you mean the "face" to be the surface glued =
=3D
to the panel and the spine is the opposite surface. What if the "face" =
=3D
was straight and the "spine" was contoured (feathered) originally. Dry =
=3D
down a panel and glue on the ribs. Let the board develop its compression =
=3D
crowning and now you have a curved straight "spine" and a curved =
"face"."

Terry,
I think you are giving most piano manufacturers too much credit for =
possibly doing it the way many do today. Let's face it, this was a mass =
production setting. They took a "straight" piece of wood and slapped it =
on another "flat" piece(s) of wood. If the R&D people said that the the =
"Face" had to be curved before gluing, then the workers found the =
quickest/easiest way to do that. They, in no way, fussed and labored =
over these pianos like we do. It was a job, pure and simple.
So, if you find a rib that is curved on one side, (the face, convex), =
and flat or concave on the other, then you can bet your sweet bippy that =
the R&D specified a curved rib, BEFORE glue up!<G>
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I