Rib crowning & compression failure

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Fri, 18 Feb 2005 20:21:05 -0800

I don't think anybody said that.  Steinway pianos are beautiful
instruments when the soundboards hold up well, as are many compression
crowned instruments.  But, as someone who works on many Steinway pianos,
frequently there is failure at the soundboard level and as I've learned
to listen for it, I notice it much more.  As I understand it,
compression crowning is a difficult thing to produce with consistency.
The variables that contribute to the success of strict compression
crowning are just too difficult to control.  That's why, if you go into
a Steinway dealership, you hear some pianos that are wonderful, but many
that are disappointing.  I have a customer who recently spent many
months looking for a Steinway B.  He visited a number of dealers, saw
countless pianos, rejected all but one that he ultimately decided
produced a tone that excited him.  It was not a high percentage.  And
even with that one, there are some deficiencies he is starting to hear.
While some of the rejections may very well have been due to poor
preparation, some of the problems were clearly soundboard related.  I
have found this to be true not only of New York Steinways but also the
often considered higher standard of Hamburg Steinways.  Recently, a
technician colleague of mine went to Europe with a group of
professor/musicians representing a major west coast university in search
of a Hamburg D for their concert stage.  They viewed many pianos, most
of which they rejected.  Why such variation and inconsistency?  It's
more than just voicing or personal taste.  I think the endeavor to find
a more consistent and reliable way to produce a piano is an important
one.  I personally appreciate the efforts, and risks I might add, of
those who are willing to consider a different approach to build
something better, or, at least, more reliable and consistent.  It would
be far easier for them to just abide by the status quo.  All the answers
may not yet be there, but it is not without substantial personal
investment that they do this.  And, agree or disagree, I think that
should be recognized and applauded.