"Fish"....my best guess...

Sat, 19 Feb 2005 11:50:47 +0100

Stéphane

I agree completely.  Have never bought into the idea that there is anything
wrong with the Steinway bass.  Its ... different then how some other pianos
go about it. And one either likes that difference or not, to be sure. But to
try declare outright that the Steinway bass is dead, or that the scaling is
bad... well it would be about the same as declaring the bass of some other
builders to be cheap and metallic, or to say their scaling is without
character. Its all about what one wants to create, not what one can throw a
number at and say fits or doesnt.  You have to figure that people who've
been building instruments for well over a hundred years have a basic idea of
what they are after.

Interesting to note, Schimmel pianos evidently did an excursion into the RC
world some time back, and decided they simply couldnt get the sound they
wanted, so they returned to CC building.  Like I say... its not about what
is better... .  Its about the kind of sound you want to create.

Cheers
RicB

This makes much sense, of course.
But then, those old Steinway A pianos, with no fish and no cutoff bar,
produce nice bass enough, and long lasting high trebble, don't they ?  Why
doesn't the real world obey our theories ?  Nothing is simple.

Best regards,

Stéphane Collin.