cleaning keys

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Sat, 19 Feb 2005 08:28:03 -0500

Hi Jack,

I use a siphon feed sand blaster. You can pick one up for about $20 at
farm supply stores or Harbor Freight type tool sellers.

For abrasive, I use 150 Garnet mesh, a very fine garnet sand purchased
from Abrasive Products, (317) 485-7701, in Fortville, Indiana. It ships
in a pail of about 100 lbs and costs about 50 dollars. It will last
quite awhile. Judicious experimentation will allow you to use it to
clean most action parts making them look like new. It will even clean
hammer felt making them look better. It will also chew right through any
strings used to anchor springs in a heartbeat and blow up damper felt.

Be sure to take the keys off the key frame so you don't pit the key pins
with abrasive. Best to avoid the bushings unless you are planning on
rebushing.

Experiment on old upright actions in your graveyard. You'll quickly get
the hang of it.  Use compressed air to blow the sand out when you are
done. I've used this procedure for 15 years now with great success.

Thump (Gordon Stelter) has another cleaning method that is intriguing.
It involves soaking things in some concoction. I haven't been able to
overcome my built in resistance to soaking wood parts in fluid to try
it. But the results are beautiful. It should be in the archives within
the last few months.

Blessings,

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359