Rib crowning & compression failure

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Sat, 19 Feb 2005 08:10:23 -0600

John:

I understand your confusion here.  I don't think Steinway makes bad
pianos.  Most here would agree with that statement.  My problem with
them - and my tendency to denigrate them inappropriately - is the fact
that they are not what they could be, nor what they claim to be.  It's
natural to claim to be the best.  That's fine. The implication we get
from their marketing and their representatives (at least the ones I've
met) is that they are the "only" piano.  I have heard many say that all
other instruments are just "commercial junk".  That doesn't match my
reality.

Secondly, Steinway has some wonderful technicians.  People who know what
a good piano is and what is should be.  Still, marketing people dominate
the company.  If that were not so, you wouldn't hear the "largest
sounding board" hype when the technicians know that a sounding board can
be too large.  We hear of the "longest speaking length of the bass
strings" when the technicians know well that it would be better to have
a shorter speaking length string with a longer back scale.

I have no doubt that Steinway could improve their good pianos.  They
have the expertise to do that.  My irritation at them is not because
they make bad pianos and the people who buy them are fools.  My
irritation is that they could make much better pianos but they choose
not to.

Theodore Steinway was a brilliant innovator who made more progress in
the development of the modern piano than anyone else and he did it quite
rapidly.  I believe he would turn over in his grave if he saw the
developmental stagnation that his successors have maintained.  Steinway
does not make "bad" pianos, but they have been the leaders of a century
of developmental stagnation.

End of rant!

dave

David M. Porritt