Rib crowning & compression failure

Bec and John bjsilva001@comcast.net
Sat, 19 Feb 2005 20:06:11 -0500

Hi Dave,

It seems my slight sarcasm was missed :) I've heard lots of negative
comments about Steinways on this list, of course I've also heard
positive ones. I was just making the point that some pianists like
them, and some of them very great. I was never a particularly big fan
of Steinways up until I got mine. Still I'm not enamoured with them in
general, and if I had to choose I'd say I have almost always preferred
Mason & Hamlin's.

Though my absolute favourite recording of a piano is Rubenstein's later
(mid-late 60's) recording of Chopin's nocturnes. I'm not referring to
Rubenstein's playing (which is nice, however), but the piano itself. I
loved it before I knew it was a Steinway. I've still never heard a
better recording of a piano.

- John