cleaning keys

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Sat, 19 Feb 2005 09:17:12 -0500

>>Does this blaster require a collector system or dust removal , a
special booth. Are you talking blasting actions, as they are, or totally
stripped down to the rails. How does this work. Does it take all the
black and grunge and discoloring of the action parts....

It is amazing at what it will remove.

It does generate a lot of dust. One tech I know does it right in front
of his powerful exhaust fan in his spray booth. I just always do it
outside. The other tech does it over a big laundry sink, collects the
sand, filters it through a sieve and reuses it (it doesn't wear out). I
just leave mine on the ground. It is cheap enough and lasts long enough
that the cost is not significant.

I don't strip actions down to the rails, I do it with everything in
place. For an upright action, I either put masking tape on the hammer
rail to protect the finish, or I take it off. But I do sandblast the
edge of the rail cloth that is showing. It does make felt look like new.
Hit the hammer, hammer spring rail and backcheck felt. Of course, do all
the wood parts accessible.

Avoid damper felt and string cords. In 15 years of doing this those are
the only things I've destroyed so it is fairly safe. But if you have
concerns, experiment on old graveyard actions.

You can use this to clean up all kinds of irregular wood surfaces, like
bridge caps. It strips away the grunge, but only takes of miniscule
amounts of wood, unless you crank up the pressure and overly dwell on
one area.

Of course you should be sure to wear protective eyewear. An apron is
also advisable and face shield.

Blessings,

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359