Rib crowning & compression failure

Sun, 20 Feb 2005 00:45:28 +0100

Oh I hear you Thumpy.  Not that I agree with it all.  I mean the
marketing line.... I've heard it a hundred times and you know what... it
just doesnt wash.  No way they have  had the kind of marketing resources
needed to stay the onslaught from Japan these past 30 or so years.  Fine
pianos being made now there. No way marketing alone can explain their
clear dominance over the other European makers through the past century.

And of course what does this kind of argumentation tell us about how
subscribers feel about the pianists who have made their clear choice ??

Steinway made their instrument, and it has stayed popular since. Why
SHOULD they make any huge changes ?  Let OTHERS make all the changes
they want.  IF those OTHERS make changes that are popular enough... then
the OTHERS will end up doing the exact same for however long it takes
for the next circle to close.

no no no no no... me thinks me sees the colour green more then me sees
anything else.   At least 2 hues.

Cheers
RicB

Dear Mr. Brekne,
    With all due respect: it is not the fact that
Steinway produces some very enjoyable pianos that is
being criticised. It is the fact that they seem to
"rest on their laurels", and bask in the lucrative,
idolatrous adulation that is heaped upon them by much
of the planet's populace, while producing pianos that
seem to bear little change due to scientific scrutiny
--- from what they were in 1888!
     Also: Other fine pianos have come and gone: some,
in many ways, superior --- only to be quashed by the
marketing Juggernaut of S$Sons, N.Y.!
     And those vanquished pianos often take their
secrets of construction with them. it is that which we
despise. ANYONE who thinks they are above improvement
is, by nature, reprehensible!
     Thump