Was Fish, I see no further utility in the list.

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Sun, 20 Feb 2005 00:37:54 -0500

Ron, it would be a pity if you left this group.  You are one of the few
innovators out there, and I've enjoyed your input.  I've learned a lot from
you.

If I might leave you with an insight or two about why you really do need
this list:

I remember back during my graduate studies (="postgraduate" fer' you
non-Yanks), I was working on a rather complicated and radical theoretical
project.  Obviously I was the one who understood it the most, although I
admit to being baffled by much of it.  A few other folks understood most of
what I did about it.  Most people regarded it as pretty "out there" stuff.
I remember giving a talk to the Dept. of Electrical Engineering about my
work, and within the first few minutes, they were all telling me that my
entire premise was completely full of manure and that I, a lowly
physiologist/biopsychologist, had little to show them, the high and mighty
engineers.  So I kept talking, and eventually a dumbfounded expression fell
over their faces.  I was witnessing a mass, "well duh" moment, having shown
them a phenomenon that they had never considered might exist -- or that they
had previously dismissed on the basis of faulty assumptions.  If only I had
my camera at that moment!  I spent the next hour laying out a complicated
theoretical development, and there were a lot of good head scratching and
"ah hah" moments going on.  I still hadn't scratched the surface by the end
of the hour, but I had made an important connect, and by engaging in
discussion, I had an "ah hah" or two myself.  It was a very good hour in my
life.

Keep talking, and people eventually *will* understand what you are trying to
do/achieve.

Beyond getting your ideas out there/here, you might not be as inventive a
person without us, even if we don't grasp or agree with what you are telling
us.  Talking with the EE crowd, and talking with my advisor, and talking
with my fellow graduate students -- and with my spouse, and with my young
children, and with myself, and even with my cats (!!) -- did help me to
crystalize my ideas.  Only my cats looked at me knowingly.  Everyone else
was at least mildly bewildered.  But I found that the process of simplifying
and refining my arguments was necessary in order to move on with further
theoretical development.  There were at least two theoretical breakthroughs
on the project that would not have been possible if I had not kept
simplifying, simplifying, simplifying, and explaining, explaining,
explaining.  If you can eventually explain it to a child, then you've made
some real theoretical progress, and the next breakthrough is just around the
corner!

THAT is why you need us, Ron.  We are your cats.  Sometimes we growl and
hiss, and sometimes we purr.  But without us you are nothing (as every cat
knows)!  ;-)  Take a break from us if you need to, but PLEASE come back,
both for our sake and for yours.  Keep talking and engaging, because I bet
that is how you get your ideas.

Peace,
Sarah

PS The same goes for you too, Del!