Erard Action Diagram...again! Sorry if it's a repeat

David Nereson dnereson@4dv.net
Sun, 20 Feb 2005 04:31:34 -0700

Piannaman@aol.com wrote:

>  Hi all,
>
> Sorry if this is a rerun.  Didn't seem to go through the first time!
>
> I dug out a diagram of the Erard action that I'm trying to get a
> handle on.  Any suggestions on regulation of this would be welcomed!
> Quentin and Pierre have been most helpful.
>
> I don't know if the 1821 on the diagram is the year this action was
> patented or not.  I can only assume that it is.
>
> Curious animal, that's for sure.
>
> Dave Stahl

    The main difference I see is in the damper mechanism.  Other
regulation procedures such as jack alignment to knuckle, repetition
lever height, hammer blow distance, let-off, drop, and repetition spring
strength ("hammer rise") should be fairly straightforward.   I can't
quite figure out the backchecking, and it looks like there's some sort
of "sticker" that connects the wippens to the keys, instead of the
wippen just sitting on a capstan screw.  Is that an adjustable dowel or
button on the lower end of the sticker?   So those things you'll have to
figure out, but with a little detective work and experimentation, it
shouldn't be all that much different from a more modern action with
similar wippens..  There are stranger animals out there.
    --David Nereson, RPT