Rib crowning & compression failure

Horace Greeley hgreeley@stanford.edu
Sun, 20 Feb 2005 11:20:56 -0800

Hi,

At 09:32 AM 2/20/2005, you wrote:
>Terry,
>
>The mid-80's re-release of that recording on CD is RCA Red Seal 5613-2-RC,
>which I have and agree the pinao sound is lovely.  John may be referring to
>the original vinyl release, which could sound different, I'm willing to bet
>even warmer and richer than the digital.

Actually, the Rubenstein re-releases used very little remastering because
of the care which was used in the production of the originals.  He settled
on a particular microphone model and placement fairly early on (in the era
of modern recordings - post-WWII), and while the back end (tape
recorders/etc) changed over time, seldom varied from it.  Part of what
makes this fascinating is that, because of this (relative) consistency over
an extended period of time, it is possible to track (within reasonable
limits) the unfolding of how the sound of a particular maker changed during
that period.  Pre-WWII recordings are, of course, a different matter.

My own experience, owning many recordings of Rubenstein done over many
years, is that perceived differences between vinyl and CD media (in
re-release of vinyl originals) would be exactly that - a matter of
perception.

Whatever the technical niceties, over all some of the best examples of
piano sound available anywhere.

>happy listening

Indeed.

Best.