Rib crowning & compression failure

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Mon, 21 Feb 2005 13:18:30 -0800

> Actually, the Rubenstein re-releases used very little remastering because
> of the care which was used in the production of the originals.  He settled
> on a particular microphone model and placement fairly early on (in the era
> of modern recordings - post-WWII), and while the back end (tape
> recorders/etc) changed over time, seldom varied from it.  Part of what
> makes this fascinating is that, because of this (relative) consistency over
> an extended period of time, it is possible to track (within reasonable
> limits) the unfolding of how the sound of a particular maker changed during
> that period.
Yes, yes. This is exciting.

> Pre-WWII recordings are, of course, a different matter.
Why? Please explain this; I'm assuming radically different recording
technology, but please expand.
> My own experience, owning many recordings of Rubenstein done over many
> years, is that perceived differences between vinyl and CD media (in
> re-release of vinyl originals) would be exactly that - a matter of
> perception.

Oh, my brother, p-p-p-p-please please PLEASE do a class with your archival
recordings in Burbank (the California State PTG Conference) next year; I'd
commit to working with you to get a killer room and sound system, and we
could then have played some of the same stuff on a killer piano, in the same
room...oooooh. Damn.

Give us the gift of your ears & sensilblities and a lifetime of world-class
listening, Horace. The craft needs this kind of inspiration, and the class
would be beyond full.

Respect & best wishes,

David Andersen
Malibu, CA