general finishing question

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Sun, 20 Feb 2005 13:13:25 -0800 (PST)

That's right:
Strip.
Use fine bristle brass brush in laquer thinner to
remove old filler ( if desired ) and goop from
corners.
Rinse/wipe off all residue carefully.
Bleach with chlorine and/or oxalic acid to even tone.
Sand lightly with 220 grit to level rain.
Vacuum off dust
Stain
Sealer coat
Filler
Sealer coat
Topcoats

This will give you the clearest finish. Especialy if
the stain is water based, the sealer coat is not.
( to avoid stain bleeding into the finish. )
  Thinned finish makes suitable sealer coat, except
where silicone residue causes adhesion problems (
shellac better, then ).  Using only topcoat lacquer
( no sanding sealer ) will also create the ultimate
clear finish, but it is murderously labor-intensive.
     Go to a  good bookstore and get one ( or more )
of Bob Flexner's excellent books on finishing. All
you'll need to know.

     Thump