general finishing question

Mark Potter bases-loaded76@sbcglobal.net
Sun, 20 Feb 2005 04:38:48 -0800 (PST)

Greg Newell <gnewell@ameritech.net> wrote:
Mark,
So during the finishing process is when you re-add the missing
filler and stain, right?

Greg Newell

Hi Greg -

Yes.  First I would use dyes to get the color I want, then seal them with a wash coat of shellac.  If I AM gonna use filler that would be next, although oftentimes I don't use it.  Then, if necessary, a few very thin toning coats (tinted shellac, usually) on miscellaneous pieces to even up the color ( and, BTW, this does NOT have to make the finish look muddy, as you earlier suggested!), then on with the coats of finish.

Mark Potter

At 06:06 AM 2/18/2005, you wrote:
>Greg Newell wrote:
>
>When those of you who do, refinish a piano do you remove the filler during
>the stripping process?
>
>Hi Greg - It is not a "goal", per se, for me. Whatever volunteers to
>come out during the stripping process, as well as the rinsing and
>scrubbing with maroon scotchbrite or #1 steel wool, is the extent of my
>endeavors in this regard. I then sand with 150 - 220 and start the
>finishing process.
>
>No brass brushes for me...
>
>Mark Potter

Greg Newell