snappy tuning pins

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:03:15 -0500

The drill bit won't get sucked down if you avoid use of a hand drill. =
Use a drill press and then no problem.

Terry Farrell

  Greg,
  DON'T DO IT! I tried that ONCE! As in YIKES! What happens is the drill =
will "suck" down THROUGH the plate, INTO the pinblock! DAMHIK! THEN, =
you've got a real mess!
  However, it is possible to remove the tuning pin and grind a bit of =
the forward hole with a very small grinding stone and a dremel tool. I =
suspect, that the simple removal of the tuning pin and then reinsertion =
will eliviate the problem, as I suspect that the p.block hole is too =
tight and removing the t.pin will ream out that hole a bit. Be real =
careful as a too tight pin will likely break, if you're not cautious! =
THEN, you have another mess! In all, not a fun gig.<G>
  Regards,
  Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
  Captain, Tool Police
  Squares R I