Glue pinblock plugs

Carl Meyer cmpiano@comcast.net
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 15:59:28 -0800

Lucky Pierre!  No, it's so that all the top layers of the block are =
fully impregnated with the epoxy.  This will restore the integrity of =
the block.

An even better but impractical procedure would be to put the block in a =
vacuum chamber and slowly evacuate the air (it will bubble profusely) =
drawing all the air out of all the nooks and crannys (what's a cranny?) =
Then when the atmospheric pressure is restored the pressure will force =
the epoxy into all those small crannys.

Epoxy used for optical purposes must be "outgassed" in a vacum chamber =
to make it suitable for use where any bubbles would be catastophic.  =
Vacuum impregnation is the process of completly sealing a substance.  =
Hey! Maybe we should inpregnate all soundboard wood.  Oh! God!  I don't =
want to start another soundboard thread.

Carl Meyer PTG assoc
Santa Clara, Ca.

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Gevaert Pierre=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 2:26 PM
  Subject: Re: Glue pinblock plugs

  Hi,

  Thanks for the input.
  If I understand you fill the holes with epoxy completely to the top of =
the pin block? I suppose this is for making the new holes easyer to =
drill.
  As it is an open face pinblock in this case I suppose it is easyer to =
fix than with a covered pinblock?

  Pierre Gevaert
    ----- Original Message -----=20