snappy tuning pins - drilling plate

Piano Forte Supply pianoforte@pianofortesupply.com
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 20:49:39 -0800

Joe Garrett wrote:

>  That is true,.....however, not everyone has that fancy/smancy aerial
> drill press set up!<G> Also, it would be difficult to move the "drill
> press" to the customers house! Sheesh! Ya got's to remember that most
> techs "IN THE FIELD"!<G>
> Best Regards,
> Joe Garrett, R.P.T.

In cases like this, I make a custom stop to prevent the drill being
"sucked down" into the softer material below.  I take a dowel a bit
larger than the drill bit I am going to use and drill a hole down the
center of it.  The dowel is then cut to length so that when it is slid
onto the drill bit, the drill protrudes only the depth of the hole I
want to drill - in this case, the thickness of the plate.
Low tech, cheap solution, consistent results.  Plus, the wood will not
mark up the finish on the plate.

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply
www.pianofortesupply.com