removing winding

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Wed, 23 Feb 2005 08:05:58 -0500

Assuming universal bass strings. Yes, the back end is a pain - I unwind =
with pliers and such. The front end on big strings is similar. But the =
front end on most of the strings, I cut the overall string to final =
length before unwinding the copper. Then, start the copper unwinding =
with pliers, but if you pull straight out along the axis of the core =
wire, you can usually get this weird oscillating motion going where you =
just pull and the core goes into this whirling dance and the copper just =
comes right off. It's the only bright spot in messing with universals!

Terry Farrell
  =20
    Is there a quick way to remove the winding from the ends of bass =
strings?  I've been using pliers to unravel it and it takes a long time. =
=20