Panel thickness question

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Wed, 23 Feb 2005 23:50:46 -0500

Dale,
         Internet was down for a little over 24 hours. Sorry to reply so=20
late. I was questioning wether there was some formulae that you used to=20
calculate what thickness of panel you will use based on the species=20
selected. Naturally this also hinges upon what type of panel support you=20
plan i.e. RC&S or CC.

Greg

At 09:21 PM 2/22/2005, you wrote:

>  Greg
>Which Part?
>  Dale
>

>Dale,
>          How do you determine this? Is there some formula?
>
>Greg Newell
>

>At 09:51 AM 2/18/2005, you wrote:
> >   Dave
> >   Another variable to keep in mind is that many of us are using sitka
> > spruce panels & the older designs used predominantly a softer eastern
> > wood. Softer wood under compression requires more thickness for strenght
> > to survive. WHere as Sitka is stiffer denser having the greatest=
 strength
> > to wieght ratio. SO it can be thinner in the designs of any kind. It
> > depends on your idea of mass in the panel too.
> >     I keep that in mind when I'm choosing panel thickness. This is also=
> > variable that could effect part of the equation for hammer selection.
> >  I.E> many old Stwy A 2s had panels routinely .360 in the main part of
> > the panel. With Sitka .320 to 340 is plenty even if you were stricitly
> > compression crowning.
> >   Dale

Greg Newell
Greg's piano Fort=E9