Glue pinblock plugs

Isaac Sadigursky irs.pianos@earthlink.net
Thu, 24 Feb 2005 00:03:45 -0800

Terry! Here is a simple technic to insert plugs in pin blocks.It was shown to me by late Dennis Nicholson,RPT.
Step 1:drill larger hole,63/64"
Step 2:apply Titebond glue to both surfaces
Step 3:insert the plug in the hole,level it with the face of the pinblock.
Step4: with the drill 7/32" drill a hole 1/2" deep so half of the hammer shank hole is in the plug and the other half in the pin block.
Step 5:apply glue to a hammer shank and drive 1/2" piece of hammershank in that hole.
now that piece of hammershank acts a s a LOCK and prevents new plug from spinning around when drilling a new hole for  tuning pin.You can start drilling hole for tuning pin immidiately,no waiting overnight for glue to cure.THis is old woodworking technic and there are severall more applications for it in our line of work

I hope,i made this description clear.If any questions,feel free to call me 818-706-0429
GOOD LUCK! Isaac

----- Original Message -----
From: Terry
To: Pianotech
Sent: 2/23/05 5:12:38 AM
Subject: Re: Glue pinblock plugs

Is the plate out? Or is the plate going to come out for this procedure? Have you considered replacing the block? Have you considered section inserts?

Terry Farrell

Hi Terry,

It's one of those Pleyel from end 19 th century with an open face pinblock. Many of them have the upper lamination cracked in the tenor section from the left to the right and have the tuning pins bent foreward. Specially  the pins closest to the keyboard are concerned. I'll send a picture if I find out how to work with my new digital camera.

Thanks for the information.

Pierre

I have used epoxy in this application with great success. And yes, there are other glues to use. Epoxy may be the better selection if the original has cracks. When you say cracked, exactly how is it cracked?

Terry Farrell
I checked the Pianotech archives trying to find out what's the best way to glue laminated pinblock plugs in a cracked pinblock but I could'n't find out.
Is epoxying  the best way to fix these plugs ore are there better glues?
Thanks for some advice.

Pierre