Glue pinblock plugs

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Thu, 24 Feb 2005 21:28:19 -0500

FWIW, I'd sure question the integrity of any glue joint that required a =
physical lock to keep the glue joint from failing. If the glue joint may =
not hold, then you should seek an alternative approach, IMHO.

Terry Farrell
  Terry! Here is a simple technic to insert plugs in pin blocks.It was =
shown to me by late Dennis Nicholson,RPT.
  Step 1:drill larger hole,63/64"
  Step 2:apply Titebond glue to both surfaces
  Step 3:insert the plug in the hole,level it with the face of the =
pinblock.
  Step4: with the drill 7/32" drill a hole 1/2" deep so half of the =
hammer shank hole is in the plug and the other half in the pin block.
  Step 5:apply glue to a hammer shank and drive 1/2" piece of =
hammershank in that hole.
  now that piece of hammershank acts a s a LOCK and prevents new plug =
from spinning around when drilling a new hole for  tuning pin.You can =
start drilling hole for tuning pin immidiately,no waiting overnight for =
glue to cure.THis is old woodworking technic and there are severall more =
applications for it in our line of work

  I hope,i made this description clear.If any questions,feel free to =
call me 818-706-0429
  GOOD LUCK! Isaac

          Is epoxying  the best way to fix these plugs ore are there =
better glues?
          Thanks for some advice.

          Pierre