Who gets the bill?

J Patrick Draine draine@comcast.net
Thu, 24 Feb 2005 14:24:27 -0500

On Feb 24, 2005, at 10:10 AM, Piannaman@aol.com wrote:

>  I generally like to be the go-between for my customers with the
> dealer or manufacturer.   I always tell them that if any problem arise
> with the piano arise, call me. I feel that it cements long-term
> loyalty in my relationship with that customer.

While it certainly "feels good" to offer yourself as some kind of
guarantor between your customer and the dealer and manufacturer, it is
a very risky move unless you've had one of the parties agree up front
that they will pay whatever it takes to make your customer happy. At
the very least you should have phoned the dealer with your provisional
prognosis, for immediate approval of the work you were suggesting. If
the manufacturer is ultimately responsible, the dealer can get
renumerated (or approval for the work) after paying YOU for your time
(even if that means another service call if the approval can't be
procured immediately).
Good luck!
Another reason why I don't work for dealers!
Patrick