Aural tuning- 300 cents flat

Greg Livingston pianotuner440@hotmail.com
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 04:56:59 +0000

Hello, everyone.

I should have known better when I was told the 1901 Clunquer & Sons hadn't
been tuned in a long time.   Just taking the front cover off covered me in
thick black  gritty dirt.  I wouldn't have been surprised if  the last
person to tune this sled was Jerry Cree Fischer himself.  A sticker from the
most recent tuner had his phone number - 4 digits.

A quick check with my 440 fork confirmed my worst fear- it was a good 300
cents flat (F# against the A.)
After quite a while, and three broken strings, I got it somewhat stable at
425 (10 bps below my 435 fork), as high as I dared to pull it.  At least I
got lots of practice on my tuner's knot.

I tune aurally, listening for F-A at 7 bps, F-D at 8 bps, A-C# at about 8,
etc. Here's my question to the list: Do these beat rates remain the same
when the reference A is way below 440 as mine was that day?  And, if you
tune aurally with nothing but a 440 fork to relate to,   what do you do when
you find yourself way below 440 and the pitch is shiftng as you tune?

Those beat rates were not working for me as they always do at 440, so I just
went around and around in 4ths and 5ths until I was satisfied.   What would
you have done?

Thanks, and every little bit helps,
Greg Livingston
Gregory P. Livingston, Piano Tuning and Service
781-237-9178
Piano Technicians Guild, Boston chapter (associate member)
                          *   *   *
Always remember September 11, 2001