Aural tuning- 300 cents flat

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 05:43:20 -0600

Gregory,

At 22:56 2/24/2005, you wrote:

>I tune aurally, listening for F-A at 7 bps, F-D at 8 bps, A-C# at about 8,
>etc. Here's my question to the list: Do these beat rates remain the same
>when the reference A is way below 440 as mine was that day?  And, if you
>tune aurally with nothing but a 440 fork to relate to,   what do you do
>when you find yourself way below 440 and the pitch is shiftng as you tune?

Practice, practice, practice - which is what you'll get as many times
you'll have to go over the beastie until it is at pitch or
self-destructs.  Either outcome will be quite evident and possibly cathartic.

>Those beat rates were not working for me as they always do at 440, so I
>just went around and around in 4ths and 5ths until I was satisfied.   What
>would you have done?

Don't get AR about absolute beat speeds. This is CPR. The pitch is lower
than 440, so the beats are correspondingly slower.  If you have the thirds
(and other intervals) in the temperament octave gradually increasing in
speed as you go up the keyboard, then you have what approximates equal
temperament.

Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT, MPT, CCT, PFP, ACS, CRS.
Decorah, IA

- Certified Calibration Technician for Bio-powered Digitally Activated
   Lever Action Tone Generation Systems.
- Pianotech Flamesuit Purveyor
- American Curmudgeon Society - Apprentice Member and Founder