upright balance weight

Keith Roberts kpiano@goldrush.com
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:07:30 -0800

Terry, No I didn't. Mine was the joke comment. The list either knows =
nothing about uprights or the disdain is stifling. I appreciate that you =
expressed an interest.

Michael's comment on the S&S DW gives a better target for me. I'm =
surprised at the amount of friction.=20

I don't think we should use Grand weighting as the criteria for what =
makes an upright the most enjoyable to play. The grand DW is affected by =
the friction at the knuckle which is determined by the hammer weight and =
the friction of the shank centerpin. The more the friction and weight in =
the bass compounds the friction at the knuckle and forces a graduated =
touchweight. This doesn't necessarily mean it's better. The upright =
hammer doesn't have the force of gravity to overcome in the same way as =
a grand and so makes an evenly weighted keyboard possible. A heavy DW =
means the fingers get tired quick. The left hand in particular. A light =
flinging action would be more conducive to bass trills, tremolos, and =
rifts such as Clementi, maybe even that Steinway artist with the filed =
down hammers, Horowitz? The heavy hammers on grands now make it so you =
have to work out at the gym to play Christmas carols. OK, I've tried to =
stir up some, uh, controversy. Hopefully the semantic police won't bury =
me.

Basically with this action, I want to lighten up the touch weight with =
the geometry first.  That's why I want a target weight so I can maximize =
the capstan move if it looks as if  the goal weight will still have to =
be adjusted with lead. 40 to 41 gram BW is what I'm liking right now.=20
kpiano

I think you misinterpreted my comment. I do not question doing =
high-level work on an upright, but rather I'm an very interested and I =
think a quality upright is very much worth putting the effort into it.=20