upright balance weight and damper weight

Fri, 25 Feb 2005 23:32:33 -0000

Hello Keith and List, yes! let's jump on this subject of UPRIGHT =
PIANOS!!!! There is much to be learned here. Be honest now, all of you - =
what percentage of your home clients (as opposed to schools and Opera =
houses) have grand pianos? The wish is there, but the grand is not. No, =
it is the humble upright which fits the bill for most aspiring pianists =
at home. So let's keep this thread on the go. Or is it really that the =
majority of private homes in all places but the UK are so very much =
larger and have the room for a grand? In the UK the upright is the true =
bread-winner for the PTs. I have about five schools to tune for and in =
one of these there are some 25 pianos. Of these only four are grands - 2 =
S&S "A", 1 Yamaha CF and a non-descrip baby grand. All the rest are =
uprights. Yamaha U3, Bluthner, Welmar, Knight, Steck, Rogers, Challen, =
Chappell, Broadwood ... .  the list seems endless. Each piano make has =
its idiosyncrasies and they are all pianos you have probably never heard =
of out there in the West. They all have one thing in common though - =
they can be played, practised upon and even cherished. And they =
certainly need tuning. And tuning means MONEY. So we mustn't knock the =
"humble" upright. We must take it seriously and give it, its maintenance =
and foibles, air-time on the List.
Question. Given that in a Steinway upright Model "V" it is stipulated =
that the damper springs are weighted at the factory bass 35gr. treble 37 =
gr. WHERE is the weight applied to conform to this requirement? Is it on =
the body of the damper (just behind the groove the spring sits in) or on =
the damper head? Obviously the further you get away from the fulcrum the =
greater is the effect of a given weight. But an accurate answer is the =
only answer here. Over to you guys.
Regards from a Downland Village in Sussex
Michael G.(UK)
  ----- Original Message -----=20