Rescaling GH1 tenor section

Matt ptuner@optonline.net
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:37:16 -0500

Hi all:

I have a client who is unhappy with the sound of the low tenor on his
Yamaha GH1 (circa late 70s) and has requested rescaling of that piano.  I
did suggest the usual voicing, fine tuning, etc. and he said that he has
already had stuff done by other techs.  He has done some research of his
own on the Internet and has decided that he is is interested in the
rescaling.

I have not done any rescaling personally but I understand that most or all
of the string parameters are entered into a computer program which then
spits out recommendations for changing string diameters here and there and
changing some plain trichords at the tenor to wound bichords.

Then the physical work involves maybe drilling hitch pin holes, modifying
the bridge, etc.  I read in the archive that Yamaha used to offer a kit for
these pianos but it was recommended by list contributors to do a custom
scale for each piano for various reasons.

So, my questions:

1) What is the best software to use to do the rescale?  Or, does anyone out
there accept parameters and run them through their own software as a service?

2) When all is said and done, is it possible that the difference in
harmonicity may not even be audible?

Thanks,

-Matt