Rescaling GH1 tenor section

Terry terry@farrellpiano.com
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 18:54:27 -0500

Good input so far. You basically have four options with the rescaling
approach.

Least intrusive is to keep original bridge and rescale. You will end up with
a number of the plain wire notes converted to wound bicords. This will
result in significant improvement. Years ago I had David Sanderson do this
on a couple pianos I was restringing. I was very happy with the results -
major improvement.

Next level would be to modify original bridge by adding a transition bridge.
Ron Overs did this to a Yamaha G2. Go to
http://www.overspianos.com.au/frameset.html  on the left, click on
"Technical Stuff" and then on that page scroll down and click on
"A prototyping exercise" (or maybe just click on the link to the left?) and
you will see a photo of the G2 with original soundboard and long bridge
modified to accept a transition bridge. If the guy doesn't want to replace
the whole bridge, this is really not hard to do. This approach will take you
way beyond just changing a few plain notes to wound notes. This will get you
almost all the way to straightening things out.

Next level is new bridges. Now you are not restrained by the original design
(except for the plate). This will smooth things out further.

And the last is completment that new string scale with a new
soundboard!!!!!!

FWIW

Terry Farrell

No, Matt, the difference is definitely audible.  It makes a startling
difference.  I've only tuned one GH1 WITH the change to 6 unisons of
wound bichords, but the difference is night and day.  It's actually
tunable!

David M. Porritt

Matt,
         Contact Ron Nossaman. He'll make you a good scale that your
customer will be happy with and you just might learn something along the
way. He's a very good and patient teacher.

Greg Newell