Rescaling GH1 tenor section

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 22:49:58 -0600

> Then the physical work involves maybe drilling hitch pin holes,
> modifying the bridge, etc.  I read in the archive that Yamaha used to
> offer a kit for these pianos but it was recommended by list contributors
> to do a custom scale for each piano for various reasons.

I did one of these a few months ago. Six wrapped bichords on the low
tenor with no bridge changes and no other scaling changes. It made a
considerable improvement in tone quality at the break. Adding a few
hitch pins is no problem if you don't let the owner watch you drill
holes in the plate. Leave the un-used tuning pin of the original
trichord in place, rather than an empty hole, and replace the
agraffes with bichords.

> So, my questions:
>
> 1) What is the best software to use to do the rescale?  Or, does anyone
> out there accept parameters and run them through their own software as a
> service?

A number of us offer scaling services, and can do this.

> 2) When all is said and done, is it possible that the difference in
> harmonicity may not even be audible?

Inharmonicity isn't the problem with that low tenor. It's tension
and low break%. The speaking lengths are just too short for plain
wire at the required pitch.