Aural tuning- 300 cents flat

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sat, 26 Feb 2005 20:24:31 +0100

On 26-feb-05, at 20:34, Fenton Murray wrote:

> "And, if you tune aurally with nothing but a 440 fork to relate =3D
>
> to, what do you do when you find yourself way below 440 and the pitch =
=3D

> is shiftng as you tune?"
>
> I take this question as rhetorical, but, with all due respect I=20
> believe it shows a lack of understanding of the skills of one who has=20=

> tuned aurally for 30 years. To accomplish a pitch raise aurally there=20=

> are perhaps 100's of split second decisions made on the fly, sort of=20=

> like a computer, only in that most incredible computer of all, the=20
> mind.
> =A0
>
> "Hop aboard year 2005 and get yourself a Cybertuner with the =3D
>
> great pitch raise feature.
>
> Counting beats with a piano like this... is "Neanderthal tuning =3D
>
> in the extreme".
>
> Hmm, I wish I wouldn't see this kind of talk on here. There is more=20
> than one way to achieve your goal, we need to respect them all, I=20
> certainly respect what you're doing and appreciate the opportunity for=20=

> dialog.
>
> Respectfully,
>
> Fenton Murray, RPT
>
> www.MurraysPianoTuning.com

On the other hand, what are we actually taking about?
We are talking about a pitch raise on an older instrument.
If you do a pitch raise on an older instrument with new strings, you=20
can accomplish this in maybe 15 minutes.
If it is an older instrument, you have to be very careful and make da=20
choice to what pitch you dare to tune the piano.
The speed of the pitch raise remains the same, the final pitch may be=20
different.
Pitch raise is pitch raise, and any professional should be able to do=20
this certainly within 30 minutes.
The second tuning may take another 30 minutes, and the final tuning may=20=

take you 45 minutes.
So all in all, every professional tuner should be able to do a giant=20
pitch raise within 2 hours, and with a convincing result.

And I mean just aurally, ok?

friendly greetings
from
Andr=E9 Oorebeek