Aural Skills & Machine Thrills was Aural tuning- 300 cents flat

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Sat, 26 Feb 2005 14:19:07 -0600

I can tune a piano aurally pretty well. Takes awhile, but I can do it. I
made myself learn for four reasons:
=20
1. You gotta have the basics to pass RPT, anyway
2. I have, on occasion, found myself an hour from my ETD (oops).
3. Aural checks, especially across the break, allow for better-tweeked
transisitions on some pianos.
4. It is really helpful, even in a full-ETD mode, to know the science =
and
the art of the process, even if the computer is helping me hear and =
think.
The piano is, after all, an aural device.
5. It's just a really cool skill to possess.
=20
I still marvel at two things: How incredibly accurate aural tuning can =
be
and how quickly and skillfully pure aural tuners can do their thing.
=20
On the other hand, the machines do make life easier for pitch =
corrections,
diagnosing strings and other problems, noisy environments,
late-in-the-day-my-ears-are-pooped tunings, and, for newbies, a chance =
make some money when one hasn't had opportunity to tune a couple hundred
pianos for free and/or attend a tuning school and/or have a mentor to =
work
with.=20
=20
Bottom line: I think the machine tuner and the aural tuner can produce
equally solid results. But the machine person also needs a pretty good =
set
of listening skills to go along with his or her little helper.
=20
And THAT, dear friends, is my 2 cents worth. May we never fuss or fume,
belittle or presume.
=20
Now, about you Neanderthals still using a C fork ...  (Just kidding, =
just
kidding)
=20
Alan R. Barnard