"Screwed"

Carl Meyer cmpiano@comcast.net
Sat, 26 Feb 2005 11:25:39 -0800

------=_NextPart_001_001D_01C51BF5.E65B7CA0

------=_NextPart_002_001E_01C51BF5.E65B7CA0
Although I'm sure I have a screw like that, I think the threads in the =
wood must be damaged.  I like the threaded insert approach.  The trick =
is to install the insert perpendicular to the surface.  I think I would =
use 3/8, sink the insert rather deep with an Allen wrench and use =
machine screws.  You could use the lyre as a template to drill.  Photo =
attached.

Carl Meyer PTG assoc
Santa Clara, Ca.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Sarah Fox=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Saturday, February 26, 2005 9:37 AM
  Subject: "Screwed"

  Hi all,

  When my Wissner was last moved, the folks from Columbus Piano Movers =
were kind enough to bend one of my lyre screws clean over.  This is the =
one that they didn't bend:

  You would think it would be easy enough to find a screw, but I'm =
finding I can't even special order this thing, at least from the usual =
sources.  Everyone tells me it's an antique.  (Geesh, it's not even 100 =
years old...)  HELP!  Does anyone know where I can get a screw like =
this?  Perhaps someone has one sitting around that they might be willing =
to send me?  Any help/leads would be greatly appreciated!

  Short of that, I'll probably be drilling out, epoxying threads in =
place, and using machine screws.

  Peace,
  Sarah

  PS Don't even ask what they did to the lid!  Fortunately it needed =
refinishing anyway.  They're usually much more professional than that.
------=_NextPart_002_001E_01C51BF5.E65B7CA0
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

------=_NextPart_002_001E_01C51BF5.E65B7CA0--

------=_NextPart_001_001D_01C51BF5.E65B7CA0