Aural tuning- 300 cents flat

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Sat, 26 Feb 2005 14:53:24 -0600

I'm not sure what you are describing. The Thayer is an inverted action with
an extra rail, set of flanges, and wooden stickers descending into the
bowels of the piano rather than the end-of-stick wire system.  It feels more
solid and--HUZZAH--can be lifted out of the piano without the bailing wire
and chewing gum routine.

As to your comments on making "Dump-chasers" (I love it) sound their best.
I'm actually formulating some thoughts for a Journal article on that very
subject based on a lot of frustrating early-years experience. I might
actually write it, who knows.

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Cy Shuster
Sent: Saturday, February 26, 2005 2:40 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Aural tuning- 300 cents flat

Alan,

Is that the action that has an extra horizontal linkage between the key and
hammer flange, to reach back to the hammer?  I saw one of those for the
first time recently.  Didn't feel as weird to play as it looked...

When I first walked in, the customer had it closed up.  The cover formed a
complete rectangular box.  I thought it was a coffin, or (worse!) a square!
(Just kidding, Joe! :-)  I thought my back was going to go out... but then
it turned out to be a (semi-) normal console, just very deep from front to
back, with curved side pieces next to the music desk.

Yup, most of what I see out here in WV is spinets and consoles
(dump-chasers! :-).  Makes me wonder, though, how to make them sound and
play their best.

--Cy Shuster--
Bluefield, WV