Pictures of Intereting Sound board designs (Modified by KentSwafford)

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sun, 27 Feb 2005 00:30:04 EST

Hi Dave
 Well I tend to be an experiential type human & I know  only that  when I
hear something I like I expore it.

What I find  interesting about what you've written below is that I see
you (over the  last couple of years) moving incrementally toward, for all
practical  purposes and based on what I've read on the list, a rib
crowned and  supported board.  While you are still drying the panel down
to 5.5%  rather than the 6.5% that some of the RC&S people are doing,  the
taller, rather than wider, more ribs, fanned perpendicular to  the
bridge, cut-off bars, treble fish, is what I see in the RC&S  designs.
  > Well since I can't get close enough to any body  elses  redesigns to hear
them I have incrementally decided to expereiment  in that direction. So I
need to do my own & make up my own mind. I'm a bit  nervous about the outcome as
it's a huge financial risk & my yes , it is my  piano. I have been thinkng
about the Killer octave problems & I surmise by  conjecture & intimation from
other that what the remedy is is more support.  so The Long A design is my
solution , hopefully. I may be dismally  disappointed.

Having  heard your boards and having heard others report on what they
hear, it  would seem, at least on the surface, that rib versus
compression crowning  is not a significant element in convincing people
about the authenticity of  what they are hearing.
  > Do you mean the sound speaks for it self regardless of  the means to get
there? Then I'd agree.

Rather, it  would
appear, it is some other confluence of factors: panel  thickness,
shaping, grain angle, overall rib design and level of support,  control
of moisture content; etc., the usual stuff.  Since those who  have heard
your pianos were not struck by anything unusual in their tonal  output,
 You mean other than they really like them?

would you  then go so far as to say that RC&S, CC, RC&CC probably doesn't
much  matter?
  No I wouldn't. I.E.I've already stated my tonal preference  for my Boards
with white spruce ribs Subjective though it may be I've heard  enough of them
to know & all compreesion boards are made with sugar pine of  which I've used
in the past as well. Also with good results but the white gives  the sound more
clarity. JMHO.
    I my find that all the usual stuff ,as you say,  that I do in my usual
protocol may indeed prove to be a better formula for me  since it's producing a
good outcome & is a known quaantity.
    I'm always one to but the better mouse trap , so  I'll see, & I will
report back with candor & honesty.... After the piano  is sold...grin

At least in the  short term?  How each might hold up in the
long term and the  consistency with which each can be produced, and,
moreover, the choices one  makes about their own design elements might
yet be another matter.   But from what is written below, it sounds as if
tonally, you are leaning  toward what many of the RC&S designers are
advocating.  Do I read  that correctly?
 Well all I know  is that in many of the older  designs I hear the most
sustain & musical life in are from these old  boards. You explain it to me please.
Yes,  They were probably compression  crowned. I don't  know if the ribs were
crowned  except perhaps a  little on the Ludwig. I haven't even checked the
crown. But I will & report  after I take the strings off. Fair enough.
   I do think that in any case the number of taller ribs  gives more
stiffness to the crown support. & even when a board like those  mentioned has only
little crown left they stil have amazing tonal properties.  I'm just trying to
observe these design when they strike me as excellent   sounding & then try to
find a reason. Simply with more ribs in the system  adds more weight& stiffness
& thus more mechanical impedance.
  In the Ludwig I don't find any weak notes. This piano is 100  years old.
Original strings.  So all the concerns with longevity  considering even slight
design improvements is almost a mute &  funny point to me. I know my boards
won't cave in even in 75 yrs so  for me  Its about the sound... Yes! If these
other designs give me  even more of what I want then.................
  Regards & Wecome back from the  Mountains  Dave
  Dale

David  Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net