sluggish action

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Sun, 27 Feb 2005 11:11:30 -0800

I like the vodka idea.   Does anyone know what the ratio is of=
 alcohol to water?   I have a sluggish damper system to deal with=
 this week.   I've tried Goose & Protek but it doesn't last, so=
 I'm going to try alchol/water.  I suppose hair dryer would be=
 helpful but I imagine it will wreck havoc with the=
 tuning...maybe just the air moving no heat?   If I'm making it=
 up myself, what is the ratio of alcohol to water?   1 part water=
 to 5 parts alcohol.

David Ilvedson

Original message
From: tom driscoll
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: sluggish action

----- Original Message -----
From: Alpha88x@aol.com
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: Sunday, February 27, 2005 1:03 PM

Greetings,

       In addition to the other fine suggestions... Is the piano=
 in a moist basement? ..or has it been recently moved from a=
 moist place into a home? If recently moved from a moist=
 place(baseement or garage) into a home, then in a coulple weeks=
 the moistrue will dry out of the bushings a it sits in the=
 heated house and everything will return to normal by drying=
 allittle.

    If not, then the bushings of either the jack or the hammer=
 are swollen and need a shot of 5% to 10% alchohol to H2O(water).=
 There are disputes on the percentage of water to alchohol and=
 the TYPE of alchohol. I do about 10% alc to H20 and the alchohol=
 is isopropyl, because I cant get Ethyl anymore. Works for my=
 customers, fine.

Julia
Reading, PA

Julia,
    Not my experiece-- When they get sluggish (as in the classic=
 Acrosonic sluggish ) thay will stay sluggish in the Sahara .
    I see Acros in January here in the northeast @ 20% RH .as=
 sluggish as can be.

    I do agree -- Alc., Water to shrink ,and or protek will=
 usually work.
    I just don't see swollen action center bushings "retreating"=
 to normal without help.perhaps your experience is different.
    As an aside, you can jump through all kinds of hoops trying=
 to get certain types of alc. but the cheapest vodka at the packy=
 works great--Just don't bring it in the ladies house still  in=
 the bottle-- the neighbors might talk! Percentages ? Heck the=
 stuff is alcohol and water and is clear . I think we sometimes=
 get too carried away with exactitude with this kind of thing.=
 The alc. brings the water to the cloth and the bushing will=
 shrink.
    JMHO,
    Tom Driscoll RPT