Dangers of Teflon (TM)

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Sun, 27 Feb 2005 23:24:16 -0500

Hi Thump,

>I just went to a lovely High School honors student
> science fair, where I saw a terrifying, convincing and
> excellent display of the birth defects that Teflon
> (TM) can cause.
>     Makes me not want to use Teflon powder on
> knuckles any more, regardless of how well it
> lubricates them.

I wouldn't worry about it.  Teflon poses the following two biological
hazards, which have been known by the scientific community for a very long
time:

(1)  Workers manufacturing Teflon are exposed to PFOA, a reactant used in
its synthesis.  Dupont was of course nice enough not to warn their workers
about the hazards of this chemical.  However, once pregnant factory workers
synthesize the stuff and then go off and give birth to the next generation
of mutant Dupont factory workers, the end product is inert, at least at room
temperature.  Just don't drink the water anywhere near a Dupont plant.
(FYI, PFOA does not break down in the environment, will be with us forever,
and is circulating in measurable quantity in the blood stream of 90% of the
folks on this list, probably including me.)

(2)  When you line the frying pan with the stuff and heat it up enough to
scorch it, it gives off toxic fumes that are known to kill household birds
and are likely not very healthy for unborn babies (or anyone else).  Of
course the scorched byproducts also wind up in the food and have been known
for a long time to be carcinogenic.  (The pans with flaking Teflon are
doubly hazardous, since the food is also exposed to the aluminum.  Aluminum
also causes birth defects and corrodes nicely when exposed to acidic foods
such as tomato products.  Hint: Whatever is hazardous to birds and babies is
also hazardous to adults, just less so.)

Anyway, short of some of Glenn Gould's warp-speed passages, I doubt anything
is going to scorch the Teflon on a piano's knuckles.  Use it in good health.
If you worry that PFOE and scorched Teflon are biohazards (as I do), the
solution to the problem is to require that Dupont take effective measures to
protect their workers from PFOA exposure, not allow the stuff to be released
into the environment,  and ban Teflon-lined cookware.  If this can't be
done, then yes, ban Teflon.  Ban aluminum pans too!  And MSG... and the
multitudes of other hazardous substances that the FDA won't lift a finger to
control -- because it is not in the financial interests of big business.  In
fact, just ban the FDA, because they really get in the way of our health
much more than they protect it.

But again, Teflon is perfectly safe at sub-scorching temperatures, at least
so far as any of us know.  Once it ends up in a bag as a fine white powder,
the damage has already been done elsewhere.

Peace,
Sarah
... a concerned scientist who has been on the MSG and aluminum soap box many
times before