Removing broken aggraffes

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 07:55:57 -0600

At 07:28 2/28/2005, you wrote:
>Hey Joe!
>That "T" or Tuning Hammer was given that name for just the reason David
>said. Though originally it was used in square pianos (except square or
>grand Broadwood pianos with the full frame - for those wrest pins have
>threads on them...!
>egards frm Sunny Sussex-on-Sea
>Michael G.(UK)

The vestigial term tuning "hammer" can lead to stupid tuner tricks. {NOT
vestigial if you are tuning something with tapered tuning pins, and have
the proper type, however}

25+ years ago, when I was on the starting end of my piano tool collecting
period, I had a tuning hammer, a loose tuning pin in an old upright and had
heard about being able to drive pins to increase torque.

Adding 2+2 and coming up with 3.something, I pounded that pin with my
hammer.  One of my tuning tip heads still has the dimples from that
day,  but you may rest assured that I _very_ quickly got the proper tools.
[as in, IMMEDIATELY drove over to Trefz]

Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
Vox-(563)-387-1204 // Fax (563)-387-1076

- Right now, I'm hoping to live until my age matches my golf score,
- Until then, I'll have to be content to have my IQ match my handicap.