My First Agraffe

Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:06:42 +0100

Hi Robert,

Centering the drill is easy enough, a quick smack with the appropriate
punch will do the job. Easy outs usally take care of the removal, but
once in a while you end up having to do some major surgery. I've had to
once drill out the whole darned thing with a just undersized drill bit,
and then carefully bend the rest of the agraffe away from the plate
threads. No fun.

Using old strings... yes.. this is done all the time. You may break one
or two from all the winding/unwinding of the coils. Sometimes the break
is at the becket leaving enough string to still get on the pin..
sometimes not. But re-useing the bass strings perse is no problem

bty... as long as Agraffes are up.... Great article in the Journal this
month on polishing. Looks impressive as heck. Only question I have is
the profile inside that ends up being formed. Anyone have any
comparisons / comments on this compared to reaming ?

Cheers
RicB

In addition, I also wonder how one goes about centering the drill for the
easy-out on the remains of the old agraffe so that threads in the plate
are not damaged.  Should I expect to mess them up and just commit to going
up from the current 7/32" size to the 1/4" size agraffe by re-tapping the
plate?  And even if I don’t mess up the threads, it is usual to run a tap
through them anyway just to clean them up before the new agraffe is
installed?

Finally, I managed to remove the old bass strings without cutting them by
straightening them just enough to slide through the old agraffe, so that
maybe I could re-use the old bass strings.  Is that a reasonable
expectation?

Robert Scott
Ypsilanti, Michigan