Schafer and Sons Upright

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 13:51:14 -0500

I have similar experience from a similar era Schaffer upright (I am
reasonably sure it is a Samick piano). This piano is in a high school
choral room. I put on a new set of strings and the problem went away. I
am convinced the original strings were an inferior grade of wire that
had simply work hardened after ten years of playing so they started
breaking.

Explain it to the customer in those terms: It was an inexpensive piano
to start with, they cut corners on cost wherever they could. Bass wire
on these grades of pianos often starts breaking after 10-15 years of
playing. New strings will not only solve the breaking problem, but they
will sound better than the cheap originals (especially a nice set of
Arledge!).

Blessings,

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272
Terre Haute IN  47802

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of noj
Sent: Sunday, February 27, 2005 2:56 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Schafer and Sons Upright

Thanks for the replies. The piano in question was built (according to
Pierce) by Vern Schafer in Ca. The let-off in the bass is about 1/8".
The hammers are not worn - I regulated this piano about 2-3 years ago- A
teen-age girl is the current pianist- although her brother used to
POUND the thing!  Maybe that's why there is trouble now. It is a model
US 45- serial # 513185.
Thanks again.
Jon