Schafer and Sons Upright

Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:54:05 -0000

Hello Dean and List
I have the same sort of problem here in the UK. School pianos - state =
schools, that is - as opposed to private schools. They bought a whole =
load of Danemann uprights in the 1960s. This was a UK maker and like =
most, if not all UK makers, has gone to the wall. The Danemann is/was a =
good piano - but...two versions of this upright were available. The =
strings on the cheaper one the schools all went for were... how shall I =
put it?... looked as though they were made of hedge wire. Horrid stuff. =
The top notes were always breaking so I gradually replaced them with =
Roslau. The state school can't afford major work on pianos anyway. They =
can't afford much atall in the musical side of education. Something =
wrong there! I have one state senior school (ages 11 - 17) where they =
have about 8 pianos. Two are grands (S&S and Bechstein) both are clapped =
out. One of the uprights has all its ivories missing... another the =
hammers all wobble erratically (erotically?) to the strings in =
hap-hazzard fashion (the flange bushings are shot). The two Danemanns in =
the main teaching classrooms both have examples of my emergency repairs, =
string replacements and reglued sharps etc.
BUT you wait till you come across that worst of bad British uprights... =
the 1930s Eavestaff Mini Royale strung with the bichords throughout, the =
double ended wrest pins which emerge behind a long flap mounted =
horizontally under the key bed. Pull the piano away-from-the-wall to get =
the back off to reveal the strings, backwards (mirror image) frame and =
action....The top hammer is where you'd expect the bottom hammer to be - =
but wait! You're looking at the back of the beast! You have to wangle a =
Papps wedge in there between the pull-up wires then dash round to the =
front of the beast to hit the right note and wiggle the tuning =
lever...(if you can work out which wrest pin is the right one!) I must =
find one and post a piccy to the list. It's in..cred..ible..You won't =
believe it!!
TTFN
Michael G.(UK)
  ----- Original Message -----=20