Piano microphones - lid closed

david@davidandersenpianos.com david@davidandersenpianos.com
Thu, 2 Jun 2005 13:42:45 -0400 (EDT)

> I have a church customer who has been mic-ing their Yamaha C3 with several
> large mics on booms.  Now they want to have  the lid closed and still mic
> it.
> Has anyone seen or used an internal mic system, either under lid or under
> piano?  They have heard of a system with a small bar with several small
> mics.
>
> Thanks.  Dave Smith
> SW FL

Hey Dave ---I have had success many times miking a piano from underneath;
get a good omni-directional mike on a little short stand, put it about 3-4
inches from the soundboard somewhere in the middle; move it around until
you find a good, "sweet spot," and boom---you're good to go.
closed-lid sytstems only work well when you use real expensive mikes and
pre-amps.

David Andersen