Piano microphones - lid closed

Geoff Sykes ivories.52@earthlink.net
Thu, 2 Jun 2005 10:51:32 -0700

Very inexpensive, and really decent, PZM mics can be picked up at Radio
Shack. A pair of them attached to the underside of the lid with double stick
tape, or Velcro so you can remove them easily, and your set to go.

Geoff Sykes
Assoc. Los Angeles

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of david@davidandersenpianos.com
Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 10:43 AM
To: Pianotech
Cc: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Piano microphones - lid closed

> I have a church customer who has been mic-ing their Yamaha C3 with
> several large mics on booms.  Now they want to have  the lid closed
> and still mic it. Has anyone seen or used an internal mic system,
> either under lid or under piano?  They have heard of a system with a
> small bar with several small mics.
>
> Thanks.  Dave Smith
> SW FL

Hey Dave ---I have had success many times miking a piano from underneath;
get a good omni-directional mike on a little short stand, put it about 3-4
inches from the soundboard somewhere in the middle; move it around until you
find a good, "sweet spot," and boom---you're good to go. closed-lid sytstems
only work well when you use real expensive mikes and pre-amps.

David Andersen