border crossings

Greg DesBrisay g.desbrisay@ieee.org
04 Jun 2005 15:14:40 -0700

I've traveled overseas with tools several times and have used a couple
of methods to avoid customs problems.

(1) The most secure method is to get a "carnet".  This is a document
that lists all your tools and certifies that you will be bringing them
back to your home country, so you avoid import and export taxes, and it
is accepted by most countries around the world.  Use Google to find
several web pages that explain carnets and list agents that are
authorized to issue carnets.  A security fee may be required for a
carnet, and you must allow a few days at least to get the paperwork
issued.

(2) A simpler and usually just as effective method is to present a list
of your tools to a customs agent when you leave your country, get the
customs agent to register and stamp your list, and then present that
stamped lists to a customs agent when you return.  This method is fairly
easy, requires no fee, and it's much faster than a carnet.  It doesn't
guarantee that the customs agent in the country you're traveling to
won't be interested in import duties, but I've never had that difficulty
when traveling from the USA to Canada.

I hope this helps!

Greg