Copper too short!!

Robin Stevens pianoman@westnet.com.au
Tue, 7 Jun 2005 08:17:47 +0930 (Cen. Australia Standard Time)

 Sheesh..Michael. If you strip 2 inches of copper of the top of that stri=
ng
it will be untunable!!!!. I have encountered dozens of this type of repai=
here in the bush, and not one of them ended up with a musical note. Repla=
ce
the string either with a universal or get one made is the only way to go
other than shortening the copper!!=0D
=0D
Regards=0D
Robin Stevens ARPT=0D
South Australia=0D
 =0D
-------Original Message-------=0D
 =0D
From: Pianotech=0D
Date: 06/07/05 03:33:08=0D
To: pianotech@ptg.org; Carl Teplitski=0D
Subject: You have received photos from Adobe Photoshop Album=0D
 =0D
Hello Carl T and List=0D
I send these photos (taken Nov 02 of a large Bluthner upright over-strung
under damped) which had a broken bass string. The breakage occured leavin=
too little core to use to tie a knot in so I had to resort to stripping b=
ack
some of the copper covering. The photo story shows how I repaired it usin=
g a
pre-formed reef-knot technique. I thought I had sent these photos before.
They were taken with a cheapo Kodak DC3200 so there's a lot of fuzziness =
-
but the message gets through, I hope! Look at them in this order:=0D
0512.jpg Showing the broken end still attached to the wrest pin=0D
0513.jpg Using a strong bradawl to gouge out the becket=0D
0515.jpg The break was at the top guide pin=0D
0508.jpg Mic'ing the core - the new wire must be the same diameter!=0D
0510.jpg Using the side-cutters to score through the copper covering=0D
0509.jpg Removing/unwinding the old copper covering back to the scored pa=
rt
(see 0510.jpg)=0D
"string repair.jpg" Using the small round-nosed pliers to pre-form one ha=
lf
of the reef knot=0D
0506.jpg Bending a "shepherds crook"  Both ends are treated this way and =
its
a lovely Chinese puzzle to assemble the knot!=0D
0504.jpg The assembled reef knot!=0D
0511.jpg Using the "T" hammer to unwind the wrest-pin four whole turns!=0D
 =0D
NOTE: This selection of photos comes with a down-load site for Photoshop(=
R)
Album 2.0 Starter Edition so you can see them!=0D
 =0D
=0D
Download Photoshop(R) Album 2.0 Starter Edition free to create your own
photo slideshows!=0D
http://www.adobe.com/getstarteredition=0D
 =0D
Regards from a bright but overcast evening in the Village=0D
Michael G.(UK)=0D
=20