Sojin Daiwoo?

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Mon, 6 Jun 2005 20:58:11 -0500

Well, let's hope that it's a post-Andersen-visit piano, but maybe not. The dampers are seriously out of regulation. The action is "clicky." The jack rebound felts are not woven felt but are super flooffy felt, like some flat grand dampers are -- is that what they call end-grain? -- anyway, they are all torn up and falling out. She didn't tell me exactly when she bought it or if it was new then, but she said "about 20 years ago."

I've been puzzling over your response and can't figure out what you are referring to as "MC issues." Wazzat?

Is there any particular ugliness I should look for?

Actually the tone of the thing is fairly nice for a small, small grand but it is uneven. A little needling may help.

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

----- Original Message -----
From: David Andersen
To: Pianotech
Sent: 06/06/2005 8:05:59 PM
Subject: Re: Sojin Daiwoo?

Anyone heard of this brand of piano? The fallboard says "Sojin" and the (baby grand) soundboard decal says "Daiwoo"? You'd guess it was made in Korea, and you'd be right--there is a "Made in Korea" label on the inner rim.

Oh, yes. Sweet Jehosophat.  I was at the Daewoo factory for a couple weeks in 1983 as a technical consultant for Sherman Clay Piano Co. They were using Daewoo as their low-end stencil piano (with “Sherman & Clay” on the fallboard).

I could tell you stories from here to next Wednesday about the challenge these pianos were to straighten out and make some semblance of “right;” I had hundreds of ‘em pass through my hands---actually, mostly through the hands of three other technicians I was supervising---from ‘84 to ‘87. Serious action issues; serious wood seasoning and MC issues. Whew. Nasty.
But the factory DID make most of the changes we recommended over the next year, and the pianos WERE better after my visit. I met some amazingly neat humans there, and ate some of the best food I’ve ever had, before or since.

David Andersen
Malibu, CA