Sojin Daiwoo?

David Andersen david@davidandersenpianos.com
Mon, 06 Jun 2005 18:05:54 -0700

> Anyone heard of this brand of piano? The fallboard says "Sojin" and the (=
baby
> grand) soundboard decal says "Daiwoo"? You'd guess it was made in Korea, =
and
> you'd be right--there is a "Made in Korea" label on the inner rim.

Oh, yes. Sweet Jehosophat.  I was at the Daewoo factory for a couple weeks
in 1983 as a technical consultant for Sherman Clay Piano Co. They were usin=
Daewoo as their low-end stencil piano (with =B3Sherman & Clay=B2 on the
fallboard).

I could tell you stories from here to next Wednesday about the challenge
these pianos were to straighten out and make some semblance of =B3right;=B2 I
had hundreds of =8Cem pass through my hands---actually, mostly through the
hands of three other technicians I was supervising---from =8C84 to =8C87.
Serious action issues; serious wood seasoning and MC issues. Whew. Nasty.
But the factory DID make most of the changes we recommended over the next
year, and the pianos WERE better after my visit. I met some amazingly neat
humans there, and ate some of the best food I=B9ve ever had, before or since.

David Andersen
Malibu, CA