More bizarro Chick( ering ) pics, 2

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Sat, 11 Jun 2005 13:23:34 -0700

hmmm, this seems to bear some resemblance to a Browne action, which I
tangled with many years ago on an 1893 9-foot Chickering. By 1893, instead
of a piece of action cloth, there was an oversized round metal thing like a
big thumbtack, no doubt having less friction than a piece of cloth on wood,
but there was an intermediate lever not too different from what you are
showing.

I wish I had photos of the 1893 thing. I was going to make an action
drawing, but didn't manage it, and now my memory of it isn't really
clear.  Possibly if you could find an action diagram for a Browne action
(hope I remember the name right ... ) it might help. I do remember that
notes were bobbling, and people had tried to turn down the letoff, but on
this action, it didn't work. I figured it out, took off a rail to see if I
could shim it, and discovered it had slots for the mounting screws, so it
was adjustable. That was a good moment, which not doubt is why it hasn't
disappeared with the other details.

Susan Kline