Viennese Action Pliers

Avery Todd avery1@houston.rr.com
Sun, 12 Jun 2005 05:08:10 -0500

--=====================_57423484==.ALT
Jurgen,

They probably wouldn't be very high-volume sales items, but I believe there
are few
"specialty" type of tools useful for working on Fortepianos. When Malcolm
Bilson
was here to do the dedication recital on our new Maene, he also did a
little regulating,
voicing, etc. type of work and I remember he showed me a tool that he'd gotten
somewhere to do something like the one you mention below. Unfortunately, I
can't
remember exactly what it was called or what it was used for. I'll send him
an e-mail
asking if he can give me any of that information.

Wish I could be at the convention but June is just almost impossible for me
to get
away because of a month long festival. You're taking plenty of punchings,
aren't you? :-)

Avery

At 10:49 PM 6/11/05, you wrote:
>Joe, here is what the capsule pliers which are used to expand the capsule
>to remove and re-insert the hammer shanks look like.  These are not in
>stock as yet, but are on order.
>
>[]
>

>I am working on developing a whole section in my catalog/product palette
>to tools and supplies for the authentic restoration of early and Victorian
>pianos, from tuning pins, string wire, cloth and felt, to action parts
>(where available) etc.  In my view, this has been neglected by supply
>houses in the past.  I sense that awareness is rising as to the importance
>of approaching these instruments in an appropriate manner as regards to
>the parts, tools and techniques used for working on them.
>
>If I know where there is a need, I will go out and try to source solutions.
>
>Jurgen Goering
>Piano Forte Supply
><http://www.pianofortesupply.com>www.pianofortesupply.com
>
>Joe Garrett wrote:
>>Jurgen,
>>a picture of those pliers would be nice.<G> As I've worked on a few of
>>these, it always was a pain in the butt to replace/install those pins and
>>then install the Shank into the fork w/the proper amount of friction!
>>Yikes said I on the first one.<G>
>>Regards,
>>Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
>>Captain, Tool Police